My Surgery Story 

I was scheduled to have a laparoscopy on April 10, 2017. I’ve never had any type of surgery and I’ve never gone under. Actually I’ve never been confined at a hospital before so I was pretty much a nervous wreck the whole week leading up to the surgery. 

Andrew and I arrived at the hospital the night before  filled out all the necessary paperwork, and then were escorted up to our suite. I think we arrived in the room by 9pm and settled in very quickly. 

2 nurses came in to administer the enema. ( Sorry, don’t think about the enema ) and we were pretty much left alone until about 4am when nurses came in and out of my room to check my temperature, blood pressure and other last minute surgery details. 

For fun they also took Andrew’s blood pressure and it was through the roof! Awww poor bubz was probably really worried although you would have never guessed it because the man doesn’t show much (public) affection to me hahah. 

At around 5am I was whisked away on my hospital bed. I remember holding back tears as Andrew walked me down the hallway to the operating room. He looked so worried! 

When we arrived at the room, it was absolutely freezing! I moved to the operating table and the nurses strapped me down. After a few minutes the anesthesiologist came in and chatted me up for a few minutes. He asked what I did for a living and how I was doing. Pretty random if you ask me but I think he was trying to set a calm mood. He then sat beside me on a stool and started reading the newspaper lol. At this point I was cool as a cumumber. 

A few minutes pass and they put a breathing mask on my face, told me to take a deep breath, and then told me they were going to administer some drugs to put me under. I quicky said a prayer. The drugs worked perfectly because the next thing I remember is waking up in the post-op holding room. There was a huge clock and it was about 8:30 am. 

I was so groggy and freezing! When the nurse came and asked me how I was doing I told her I was cold and had to pee. Lol. I didn’t feel any pain but they probably pumped some nice drugs into me already. I kept fighting the urge to sleep ( the screaming lady next to me who had to be sedated helped wake me up) after about 20 minutes I was being wheeled into my room and Andrew was there greet me!  I was so emotional and fighting back tears again! 

My nurse told me she wants me to pee before noon but I was already up and ready to pee at around 10:00 am. I went to the bathroom without any assistance and did my business. The first few pees burned and there was blood but that’s normal so don’t be alarmed. 

I stayed at the hospital for another night and to be honest the pain was minimal. The incision wound was a but sore and my tummy was bloated. I was uncomfortable but nothing hurt majorly. 

The next day Dra. Sua Lao came in, checked my wounds and told me I was free to go home! I was so happy! I think I’ll write about my surgery tips and what I did before and after to make the whole ordeal bearable. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s